Thieme is a leading supplier of information and services contributing to the improvement of healthcare and health. Employing more than 1,000 staff, the family-owned company develops products and services in digital and other media for the medical and chemistry sectors. Operating internationally with offices in 11 cities worldwide, the Thieme Group works closely with a strong network of experts and partners. The products and services are based on the high-quality content of Thieme's 200 journals and 4,400 books. With solutions for professionals, Thieme supports relevant information processes in research, education, and patient care. Medical students, physicians, nurses, allied health specialists, hospitals, health insurance companies and others interested in health and healthcare are at the focus of Thieme¿s activities. The mission of the Thieme Group is to provide these markets with precisely the information, services, and products they need in their specific work situation and career.
For our division Thieme Chemistry we are currently seeking for the next possible date.
- Policy - Developing and implementing the vision and business strategy for the existing journal business, with the aim of increasing the quality of submissions and improving impact factors.
- Action - Implementing the vision and business strategy for an Open Access journal portfolio in chemistry
- Competitive analysis - Acquisition - Understanding and monitoring the competitive landscape in chemistry publishing, including evaluation of acquisition opportunities.
- Market research - Analyzing the chemistry market and identifying areas for growth
- Team management - Line management for the team of executive?) editors, whose main focus is to support editorial teams and boards in acquisitions (including line management for acquisitions editors at Thieme China and Thieme India)
- Networking - Developing and expanding a network in chemistry through contacts - attending conferences, social media presence, etc.; engaging and networking with researchers to encourage submissions
- Building - Development of journal editorial and advisory boards including acquisition and onboarding for new members.
- Collaboration - Close, coordinated collaboration with colleagues in Central Marketing, Institutional Sales and with the Thieme Chemistry Journals Operations Team, led by the Senior Director.
- Responsibility - Budgetary responsibility for acquisition revenue and travel costs; ensuring achievement of revenue and profit targets
- PhD or Masters degree in chemistry
- Demonstrable network in chemistry strongly preferred
- International business experience; business experience of China an advantage
- Significant background in Open Access and Open Science; broad knowledge and awareness of research and funding trends in chemical sciences and STM journals publishing
- Very good knowledge of all aspects of editorial policy, procedures, and practice
- Line management experience (5 years +)
- Strategic thinking and analytical skills, entrepreneurial mindset
- Very good communication skills in English, knowledge of German language would be a bonus
- Strongly collaborative team worker, comfortable with co-ownership of shared goals and with a high level of personal accountability
- Able to undertake national and international travel for conference attendance, site visits and meetings (20-25% travel)
- We provide an open working environment We value winning ideas and a proactive attitude
- Our Thieme Academy provides individual training opportunities
- You will work in a reputable and employee-friendly family business that encourages open communication
- The job can be home or office based (depending on candidate location)